Hugo, a young boy with a scar on his face, is too scared to go outside. Despite wanting friends to play with, he imagines being mocked. But when a friendly apparition, or perhaps an imaginary friend, encourages Hugo to leave the house, the boy manages to summon enough confidence to step outside the door.
Written and directed by Ayoub Derrazi, Amaury Sellier, and Aeris Simon over the course of six months, Brave was the team’s 2021-2022 graduation film at the Haute École Albert Jacquard in Namur, Belgium.
The phrase called out by another kid at the end of the film: “Tu veux viens jouer?” Wanna come play?
Watch these related animated shorts next on TKSST:
• The Present, a short animation by Jacob Frey
• Louis’ Shoes (Les Chaussures de Louis), a CG animated short film
• Out of Sight, an animated short about perception and imagination
• You Matter, read aloud by Christian Robinson
• Dia de los Muertos, an animated journey to the land of the dead
• Right On Tracks: Music videos that encourage kindness, inclusion, and empathy
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.