Drip sandcastle, drippycastle, dribble castle, drizzle castle: These blobby wet beach structures go by lots of different names, but no matter what they’re called, they’re fun and easy to make.
“In Germany they’re called kleckerburg,” notes artist and prolific drip sandcastle builder Kirk Maxson. “All you need to create one of these is fine-grained sand and water.”
The activity can be quiet and meditative, like the video above, or a boisterous group can drizzle dozens of sand towers as a team. They key, as with anything, is practice.
Maxson’s drip sandcastles can be found on YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram.
Watch more sand and beach videos, including:
• The Amazing Life of Sand, a Deep Look video
• Three 18-ton sand sculptures built for a commercial
• Sand Bubbler Crabs, an up-close look at how they make sand balls
• Andres Amador’s Earthscapes
• Speed up geologic time with a DIY squeeze box
• How to collect black sand with a magnet
• Mary Anning, the greatest fossilist the world ever knew
Bonus: Making Sand Swim with Fluidization.
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.