“I have eyes that kiss in the corners and glow like warm tea. My eyes are just like Mama’s. Mama’s eyes, that kiss in the corners and glow like warm tea, crinkle into crescent moons when she comes home from work. She scoops me in her arms, eyes sparkling like starlight, and tickles me until we laugh ourselves onto the floor.
“When mama tucks me in at night, her eyes tell me I’m a miracle. In those moments when she’s all mine, flecks of dancing gold tell me I’m hers, too.”
Created in partnership with Wen and Wong Fu Productions, this video from The Conscious Kid is one in a series of their AAPI Story Time read-aloud videos.
At the four-minute mark, the video also shares a message about combatting anti-Asian racism with the celebration of stories from Asian-American voices and experiences.
Enjoy more read-aloud books, including:
• The Day You Begin read by author Jacqueline Woodson
• Sylvester and the Magic Pebble read by Reid Scott
• Please Please the Bees read by Rashida Jones
• Trombone Shorty read by Angela Bassett
• Ada Twist Scientist read by Astronaut Serena Auñón-Chancellor on ISS