Gem is a Common Wombat (Vombatus ursinus) who lives at the Healesville Sanctuary, just an hour from the center of Melbourne, Australia. In this Zoos Victoria video, Wombat keeper Olivia Debernardi shares details about this sweet orphaned joey, as well as more information about how these solitary Australian marsupials grow, eat, run, burrow, carry their young in backwards-facing pouches, and poop cube-shaped poop.
Learn more about marsupials with these videos on TKSST:
• A peek inside marsupial pouches
• The three different ways mammals give birth
• A tiny newborn kangaroo climbs into its mother’s pouch
• Baby Koala: A Joey moves in its pouch at the Taipei Zoo
• Chimbu and Kofi, Goodfellow’s tree-kangaroo joeys
Bonus: More videos featuring burrows.