When you think about the sound an owl makes, do you think about their iconic “hoot hoot” sound? That’s probably the “hoo-h’HOO-hoo-hoo” call of the Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus), “the quintessential owl of storybooks.”
Hoot Goes there? Hit play and find out! This National Audubon Society video reminds us that different species of owls make lots of different sounds, including whistles, whinnies, hisses, screeeeeees, barks, coos, hooo-too-too-too-toos, and more. Filmmaker Zakiyyah Madyun narrates.
• North American owls and their sounds from Audubon.org
• Download Free Owl Sounds from AllAboutBirds.org
Related owl videos on TKSST include:
• Great horned owl vs. raccoon in an owl nest
• Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s Great Horned Owl Live Cam
• The Orphan Owl
• Barn Owls: The Secret Saviors of Napa Valley’s Vineyards
• Barn Owls feed their hungry hatchling on Five Owl Farm
• The silent flight superpower of a stealthy predator
• The Burrowing Owl’s Cozy Underground Home
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.