Eliminating our dependence on fossil fuels and leveraging new technologies that help capture carbon and store energy are essential in the fight against climate breakdown. Natural climate solutions—the conservation and restoration of Earth’s carbon-storing ecosystems—can be a big part of our actions.
“For instance, coastal habitats like mangroves provide natural flood defences, well-protected lakes retain water sources during droughts, and healthy forests reduce the risk of devastating wildfires.”
The United Nations Environment Programme is helping communities adapt to a warming world with more than 70 climate change adaptation projects in over 50 countries. These under-a-minute explainers introduce just a few of the concepts at the core of their efforts.
Watch these natural climate solution videos next:
• How can design make climate-resilient buildings?
• Mangroves + Oysters + Earthen Dikes = Eco Engineering
• Why are mangrove trees so important?
• Why are peatlands so important?
• The power of seaweed: How can kelp help capture carbon?
• How do bison help fight against climate change?
• How can nature be used as a tool to restore ecosystems?