How can you create the illusion of a drop of water in a watercolor painting? There are many water droplet how-to videos on YouTube, but this quick tutorial by E Perry Art shares a simple five step method in just 2 minutes and 23 seconds. The steps:
• Create the background and let it dry.
• Drop water in a droplet shape on the background to pull up color
• Outline highlights and the drop using a darker version of the background color.
• Create a gradient by pulling that color down with a wet brush within the drop.
• Add the drop’s shadow on the opposite side of the highlights.
Watch the beginner-friendly video above to see a demonstration of the easy-to–follow technique.
Then watch these videos for more art activities:
• How to paint layered petals with watercolors
• Painting whimsical watercolor birds, a tutorial
• How to draw towns and cities for fantasy maps
• How to turn garden clippings into striking insect sculptures
• Create a construction set with interlocking slots, a Tinkering Studio DIY project
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.