Green, marked with patches of brown and covered with venation-like patterns, the grasshopper makes its way across a similar-looking leaf. It was captured on film by nature photographer David Weiller, whose videos have been previously featured on TKSST.
Watch more leaf mimics and more videos about camouflage[noindex]:
• Giant Malaysian leaf insects
• The Leaf-tailed Geckos (Uroplatus) of Madagascar
• Nature’s Masters Of Disguise
• Robust Ghost Pipefish camouflage
• Leaf Mimic Katydids: Uniquely disguised as dead and diseased leaves
Favorite: The spectacular common potoo.
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.