Watch as different kinds of clay are mixed with acrylic paint, coffee grounds, white glue, and more to create a “clay illustration” from the movie Totoro. This Clay Attraction video makes the sculpting look easy, but it takes a lot of practice, fails, and maybe even a few edits to be so astonishingly accurate.
The video is mostly wordless, with some Korean narration; close captioning provides a translation. Chapters include tree and soil creation, stages of creating Mei, and crafting the Chu-Totoro and Chibi-Totoro creatures. Watch all of Clay Attraction’s tricks and techniques.
Clay Attraction is on Instagram and YouTube. Previously: Making Wallace and Gromit plasticine figures from A Grand Day Out.
Watch these handpicked videos next on TKSST:
• How to make Totoro Steamed Buns
• Learn how to draw Totoro in one minute
• Sculpting Freddie Mercury
• Two professors sculpt each other in less than ten minutes
• The Secret Story of Toys: Action-figure character sculptors