How can innovative technologies help firefighters stay safe while they battle dangerous flames? In this video from Innovation Nation from The Henry Ford, Adam Yamaguchi tries on the C-Thru ‘Ironman AR’ firefighter helmet, augmented reality equipment that provides real-time visual information for firefighters.
Green shapes and contours of humans and objects are clearly visible through the thick smoke, while red thermal imaging in the helmet’s screen indicates the warmth of lifeforms and fire. Sam Cossman, CEO of Qwake Technologies describes the concept’s inspiration. Mike Ralston, former NASA scientist-turned-firefighter, demonstrates how it works.
Watch these firefighting videos next:
• Helmet-mounted cam: A firefighter enters a home on fire
• Beaver dams and wildfire, a stop-motion demonstration
• Meet Firefighter Xochitl Hernandez of the Austin Fire Department
• How do firefighters combat and control wildfires?
• The Goat Brigade: Preventing Wildfires in Southern California