While locals have known of its wide open biking and skating surface for years, Berlin‘s Tempelhofer Feld is now world-famous for its roller dancing scene. A former World War II-era airport transformed into a bustling urban park in 2010, its recent fame is attributed to the smooth jam skating of Oumi Janta, who became a worldwide hit on Instagram in 2020.
In this feel-good video by Marina Bose, above, Janta is joined by Till Hiddemann, Behailu Schaller, Eve Battyslade, Susana Hahn, and others for all kinds of skating tricks, twists, leaps, fancy footwork, and coordinated dance moves on the asphalt. The music is Te Extraño by Marquess, featuring Raykuba.
Read more about the skating revolution in Berlin at Condé Nast Traveler.
Then watch these related videos:
• Freeline skate tricks on the streets of Taipei
• Matthias Dandois: The Flat Side of Things
• Megabiskate: Skating as empowerment for Ethiopian kids
• Cycle-Skating, the new sport of 1923
• The roller skating scene from Charlie Chaplin’s Modern Times