Animated in 1956, Rythmetic is a National Film Board (Office National du Film) experimental short about numbers by renowned Canadian film pioneers Norman McLaren and Evelyn Lambart. For nine minutes, the film “endows arithmetic with lively humour.
“The screen becomes a numerical free-for-all as digits meet in playful encounter, add and subtract, jostle, attack and elude one another.”
Related short films on TKSST include:
• Norman McLaren’s Le Merle
• Pen Point Percussion and Dots: Norman McLaren
• The Lion and the Mouse (1976) – Evelyn Lambart
• Fine Feathers (1968) by Evelyn Lambart
• Doodle Music by Vi Hart
• Symmetry, an Eames animated short for the 1961 Mathematica exhibition
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.