Watch as Portland, Oregon-based sign painter Bryan Yonki paints a 1960s-inspired design on the window of Buddy’s DTLA in downtown Los Angeles.
The video was originally filmed in 2019 by Alex Pelly for Tatered’s “Nice Content” series, an all-ages break from the rest of their channel. Yonki shared the short on his Always Hand Painted channel in 2022.
By taping a paper guide to the outside of the window, he’s able to paint the design in reverse on the inside. A long thin pole provides a ledge to steady his hand so that the letters are sharp and the paint isn’t smudged.
Bryan Yonki shares work at @WellDoneSigns on Instagram.
Watch these videos next:
• Road painters painting road markings by hand
• Round hand & single stroke lettering demos by Glen Weisgerber
• Behind the Signs: A Look at the DOT Sign Shop
• How vintage-style signs are made at Nutmegger Workshop
• Sign Songs from PBS’ The Electric Company in the 1970s
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.