“Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec revolutionised the world of graphic design with his striking posters at the end of the nineteenth century,” explains the caption of this National Galleries of Scotland video. “This was in some ways due to his innovative approach to stone lithography to create his colourful designs.”
In their 2018 video above, co-produced by Daysix Film, Alistair Clark of Edinburgh Printmakers demonstrates the stone lithography printmaking technique, from graining the stone, drawing the image with greasy ink, processing the stone, inking the stone, and printing on paper with multiple colors. A separate stone is required for each color.
Watch these related printing videos next:
• How to screen print, a video series by Eva Stalinski
• Linocut carving and printing by Maarit Hänninen
• Upside Down, Left To Right: A Letterpress Film
• Making Space and art with illustrator Christian Robinson
• Printing with a 2000lb cast-iron Kluge Letterpress machine