“If you’ve ever heard of symbiosis, you might think it’s when two things live in perfect harmony, but that’s definitely not the whole picture. Symbiosis describes any sort of relationship between two creatures living close to each other, and that includes everything from a housemate you barely notice to the freeloading roomie you just can’t shake.”
Learn about the relationships of zooxanthellae and coral (mutualism where everyone benefits), sharks and remoras (one-sided commensalism), and crabs and sacculina (parasitism-the worst symbiotic relationship), and more.
Then watch more examples of symbiosis on TKSST:
• Incredible Teamwork From Little Clownfish
• Symbiosis & a surprising tale of species cooperation
• Carnivorous Plants and Killer Ants
• Whale sharks, the gentle giants of Thailand
• Why do lice want to live in your hair?
• Western jackdaws pluck fur from wild deer in Richmond Park, London