“Soil… it’s one the most underrated, and little-understood, wonders on our fragile planet. Here’s why…
“Far from being lifeless dirt, it’s estimated that in a single gram of soil, there could be as many as 50,000 species of microscopic organisms or microorganisms. And in one teaspoon of soil, there are more microorganisms than there are people on the Earth.”
“But much of what lies beneath, in this hidden and deep universe, is still alien to us. Despite being literally under our feet, humans have so far only identified a tiny fraction of the extraordinary life teeming underground. But these animals and microorganisms provide an invaluable role.”
Learn about soil, the essential creatures within it, and how much we depend on it for our health, from the food we eat to the air we breathe. This is why soil is one of the most amazing things on Earth from BBC Ideas.
Watch these wonderful soil videos next:
• The Secret History of Dirt, a smart soil explainer for all ages
• Soil 101 from the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization
• How Does Oakland Turn Food Scraps to Soil?
• Vermicomposting: How worms can reduce our waste
• The Soil Food Web, claymation shorts by Maxwell Helmberger
• Life in the soil revealed in claymation shorts by Maxwell Helmberger
This Webby award-winning video collection exists to help teachers, librarians, and families spark kid wonder and curiosity. TKSST features smarter, more meaningful content than what's usually served up by YouTube's algorithms, and amplifies the creators who make that content.
Curated, kid-friendly, independently-published. Support this mission by becoming a sustaining member today.